Are you going away for the weekend, either in your own country or abroad, and you don’t want to leave anything behind in your luggage? Here’s our checklist for packing your bag or suitcase for a weekend away! Here is a list of the bare necessities that will allow you to leave with peace of mind without forgetting anything important. Whether you want to go to the sea, the countryside, the city, or the mountains, and whether you want to go alone, as a couple, or with friends, this list is for you.
This checklist will help you fill your bag quickly and methodically for a two or three-day getaway, whether for a vacation or a business trip.
To be taken away for the weekend
Obviously, the contents of your suitcase or backpack will be determined by the weather and destination (beach or snow-capped mountains?). However, it is also dependent on your activities (visit to a city, lazing around with friends, chic evenings or athletic weekends?). However, in all cases, here are the essentials to bring for a short stay.
The most important
- Your identity papers (passport if weekend abroad)
- Your driver’s license (and vehicle papers)
- Your means of payment (and a little cash)
- Your proof of reservations (train, plane, hotel and activities)
- Your smartphone and its charger
- Your keys
In case of loss, remember to scan your important documents and email them to yourself.
Accessories for a weekend
- Small backpack or handbag
- Pack of handkerchiefs
- Hydroalcoholic gel
- Surgical masks (in times of Covid)
- Earplugs, sleep mask and neck pillow
- Bag for dirty laundry
- Small Swiss Army Knife
- Pocket lighter and ashtray for smokers
- Zippered freezer bags for storing crisps and cake packages
The toilet kit
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hair brush or comb
- Small bottles to fill (I use this model)
- Moisturizers in small bottles
- Soap / shampoo / shower gel / styling products in small bottles
- Towel (I use this model to save space)
- Medicines (Pain reliever, Pill, Mini first aid kit)
- Glasses / Lenses
- If needed: Hair dryer, tweezers, nail clippers
For women :
- Makeup bag, makeup remover, cotton
- Periodic protections
- Elastics or hair clips
For men :
- razor and shaving foam if necessary
- Laptop or tablet and its charger
- Lightweight external battery
- USB power strip to charge you on site
- Camera and charger with blank SD card
- Earphones or headphones
Basic clothes for a weekend
- 3 panties / boxers / briefs
- 3 pairs of socks
- 1 nightwear
- 2 “bottoms” (depending on the season / style: pants, skirt, shorts, dresses …)
- 3 “tops” (depending on the season / style: t-shirts, tank tops, tunics, turtlenecks, shirts …)
- If needed: 1 or 2 evening outfits with the shoes that go with it
- If necessary: 1 sporty outfit and 1 pair of multi-activity shoes
For the sun (or the pool)
- swimsuit / beachwear
- hat / cap
- flip flops / sandals
- Solar cream
- Beach towel
For the cold
- Fleece jacket or large sweater
- Pair of “big house socks”
- Hat and gloves
- Thermolactyl undershirt
For the rain
- K-way or rain poncho
- Compact umbrella if needed
To occupy one’s time
- Reader Book / Tablet
- Guide to the place visited
- Card game
For the picnic (or meal on the train)
- A lightweight cooler bag
How should a weekend bag be organized?
Filling a weekend bag correctly is critical for saving space, preventing wrinkling, and protecting fragile items. This will allow you to bring as many items as possible on your trip while taking up as little space as possible.
Remember to roll your clothes before putting them in the pockets I recommended above to avoid wrinkling and making it easier to find them (they are more visible this way).
Gather your belongings by theme in the pockets. A storage bag for:
- underwear, socks
- everyday clothes
- “special” clothes (sport, evening)
- the toiletry bag and the pharmacy
- electronic equipment
Which weekend luggage to choose?
Weekend: Suitcase, soft bag or backpack?
The choice of your baggage depends on several criteria:
- Your activities (visiting a city, lazing around with friends, chic evenings or sporting weekends?)
- Your modes of transport (will you be carrying your bag a lot or not?)
- The terrain (flat or steep?)
- The weight of the baggage to take (are you traveling light or loaded?)
If you don’t frequently transport your luggage (because you’re in a car or taxi), don’t worry about the weight and size of the suitcase; you can indulge yourself. Otherwise, dragging a heavy bag can hurt your back, so be as light as possible.
If you’re going on a city weekend where you’ll be on flat, asphalted terrain, you can leave with a good old suitcase on wheels that will serve you well!
If you are going for a weekend hike, the backpack is much more suitable.
Suitcase for a weekend
The size of the ideal weekend suitcase corresponds to cabin baggage on planes, i.e. 55 cm high by 40 cm wide, because you will carry 40 to 50 liters in your suitcase
Soft bag for a weekend
Your flexible weekend bag (sports bag type) has a capacity of 50 to 60 liters.
Backpack for a weekend
Your weekend backpack has a capacity of 50 to 60 liters.